16 November 2013

Date Ball Cookies

Date ball cookies are traditionally a Christmas time treat, but I don't know why. Jay and I both love them. I don't appreciate the trails of coconut the boys leave around the house, but otherwise they are great all year around. I was trying to decide what to make for Bible study on Thursday and imagine my excitement when I looked in the press and found 1/2 bag coconut, 1/2 bag of dates, and a nearly empty box of Rice Krispies cereal. The recipe calls for pecans, and I didn't have any. But I did find 3/4 a bag of walnuts and decided that would do! It changed the flavour of the finished cookies, but they are still delicious in my book. Here is the recipe:

Date Balls

8 oz pitted dates
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla essence
1 cup pecan pieces
3 cups Rices Krispies cereal
about 1 cup shredded coconut

Directions: Finely chop pecans. Set aside. Mix butter, sugar, egg, and dates together in a medium sauce pan. Cook over low heat for 10 minutes or until dates are soft. Stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and add vanilla and pecans. Then add Rice Krispies and stir well. Butter your hands and a large spoon. Form into one inch balls then roll in coconut. Enjoy!

Christmas 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment