28 March 2015

Improved Sweet and Sour recipe for Chicken!

Yesterday in the fridge I had half a red and half a green bell pepper leftover from Spanish rice,  three chicken breasts from quesadillas, and half a pineapple from a fruit salad. What was on the menu? Sweet and Sour Chicken!

One of the first things I added to this blog was a sweet and sour recipe from a dear departed friend. The original recipe was for meatballs, but I used it for everything. I love it, but while I always found the sweet and sour in the jars from the supermarket to be bland and not punchy enough, sometimes I thought my sauce was a bit over powering. I saw a recipe on-line for baked sweet and sour chicken and just had to try it. It is not a healthy recipe, but so very tasty. While I still like the old recipe for meatballs and pork, I like this new one for chicken and pawns. Try them both and see what you think!

Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken
INGREDIENTS
  • 3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 1½ cup cornflour
  • 3 eggs
  • ¼ cup  oil
  • 1 cup  sugar
  • 4 tablespoons ketchup
  • ¼ cup white vinegar
  • ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 1 teaspoon garlic 
  • 1 20 ounce can pineapple chunks, drained
  • 1 green bell pepper, chopped into large pieces
  • 1 red bell pepper, chopped into large pieces
  • 1 Tablespoon cornflour
INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Cut chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces and season with salt and pepper.
  2. Place chicken in a large zip lock bag with cornflour and shake to coat. Place eggs in bowl and beat slightly. Then remove chicken pieces from bag and coat in egg.
  3. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and cook chicken until browned. Place the chicken in a 9 x 13 greased baking dish.
  4. In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine sugar, ketchup, apple cider vinegar, white vinegar, soy sauce, 1 T cornflour and garlic. Add pineapple and peppers. Pour over chicken and bake for 1 hour stirring occasionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment