09 November 2015

One dish meals!

Now that we have a baby on the way and are preparing to move, I have been starting to really notice how much time I spend in the kitchen... it is many hours a day at this point between cooking and washing up. Not having a baby in the house the past couple of years (and older boys in school) has lead to alot of experimenting in the kitchen and a lot of cooking from scratch.  Making our own pasta, pizza crusts, pastry, cookies, breads, pie etc...  Well times are changing! I hope to have a dish washer installed in the new house ASAP and I have started keeping a look out for meal ideas that are quick to make and to clean up. Pleasing all four of my men with one dish is not easy, but both of the meals in the link below have done just that!

Chinese Lo mien one pot meal

Southwest black bean one pot meal

I can't get Ro-tel tomatoes here, but I substituted a tin of tomatoes, some chili, and lime juice, and it was delicious!

Following on to these ideas I took a stab at making a chicken and mushroom one dish meal. William's favourite thing right now is mushrooms. It turned out lovely as well. Here is what I did.. I browned chicken breast pieces in a bit of  olive oil in an oven proof dish, then added mushrooms, onions, and spinach. When the onions were soft I added a large spoonful of marscrapone cheese (cream cheese, sour cream, or creme fraiche would work), a small spoon of dijon mustard, and enough chicken stock to make a nice sauce.  Seasoned to taste and then added homemade stuffing from here on the top. I popped it all in the oven and baked until the stuffing was nicely browned.

Hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment