07 January 2018

Chili to Mexican Pie

I love Chili con carne and make several versions of it. One of my favourites is a version with sweet potatoes and coco powder! The recipe is here. Unfortunately Jay is not a fan of chili soups and requests that if I must make it that it is super thick so he can put it over tortilla crisps like nachos. However, I had some chili leftover from our New Year's Eve fellowship dinner and hit upon something everyone loved. I'm calling it Mexican Pie!


To make it I put the leftover chili in the bottom of a larger baking dish. It was a bit thin so I added a tin of red kidney beans (drained) over the top. Then, I added a layer of shredded cheddar. I mixed up cornbread batter and poured it over the cheese. I used a spoon to spread evenly and seal it to the edges of the dish. Then, I baked it until a knife inserted in the centre came out clean. I served it with more shredded cheese and sour cream (greek style yogurt).

The boys all raved about it, but requested that next time I make the chili thicker and the cornbread thinner. I don't think they ever realized that the point was there wasn't enough chili to go around! Here is my basic chili recipe and basic cornbread recipe. Please tweak to suit your tastes.

Chili Con Carne

1 lb. (500g) gound beef mince
1 med chopped onion
1 chopped green bell pepper
2 tin chopped tomatoes
2 tins red kidney beans
Homemade Tex- Mex seasoning  (recipe here)
Salt and Pepper

Brown mince in a large pot. Add onions and peppers and cook until soft. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Simmer for at least one hour. Add water as needed.

Cornbread

            1 tea cup plain flour            2 tea cups medium maize meal
            ¾ tsp baking powder                       (or 1 cup course and 1 cup fine)
            ¾ tsp salt                               ½ tsp soda
            2 eggs                                    3/4 pint buttermilk
            6 ounces cooking oil

Directions:
            Heat oven to 200º C (400º F).  Heat 2 Tablespoons of butter or margarine in a 9 X 9 inch baking dish until melted and slightly sizzling.
            While heating butter, combine dry ingredients.
            Whisk together liquids; add to dry ingredients and mix well.  If too thick add a little more buttermilk.  Consistency should similar to muffin mix.

            Pour into hot pan and bake for about 30 minutes or until done in centre and  golden brown on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment