04 February 2011

Jam Bars

These really don't have anything to do with leftovers, (I've been rather uninspired lately) except for the fact that we somehow acquired 5 bags of porridge oats! We like to have porridge for breakfast, especially on cold mornings, but that much would last until July! In attempt to use it up, I've made these bars twice lately for church get-togethers.

Ingredients:
3/4 cup butter or margarine (softened)
1 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cup plain flour
1 1/2 cup oatmeal (porridge oats)
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
few drops vanilla or almond essence
10 oz. jar raspberry (or favourite) jam at room temperature
1/3 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)

Directions:
Cream butter and brown sugar.
Add rest of ingredients except for jam and nuts.
Press half of mixture in a greased 9”X13” baking dish. (When using a glass dish I don’t grease the pan.)
Stir jam until smooth then spread over base but do not touch edge of dish.
Add nuts to remaining mixture and sprinkle over jam. Press down slightly.
Bake at 180ยบ(350) for approximately 20 minutes.

1 comment: