I grew up eating lots of beans. My mom has gone back and forth being a vegetarian over the years and has a great appreciation for beans. Thankfully health food shops stock most types of dried beans and pulses for reasonable prices, (Lately some supermarkets are too!) but many types such as black, northern, garbanzo, or butter beans are over 2 euro in a tin. Talk about paying for convenience! So in order to make some of my favourite recipes I would soak and cook the beans myself. Normally I would cook an entire 500g bag, use what I needed, and freeze the rest.
My sister, Sarah, is on a diet and loves chocolate. She came across this recipe and I thought it was too good to be true! But she assured me it is delicious.
Drain and rinse one tin of black beans. Put beans back into tin and fill with water. Puree beans and water together. Combine with one box of brownie mix. Bake according to package directions.
It is certainly not health food, but lower in fat and higher in fibre. So, I put some leftover black beans to good use!
Black Bean Brownies
2 cups black beans
approx. 1/2 cup water
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
2 cups caster sugar
1/2 plus 2 Tb cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla
chopped walnuts optional
Rinse beans and purée with water. Combine with other ingredients. Add more water if necessary to make a thick batter. Bake in a greased 13 x 9inch pan until done approx. 15 minutes.
These brownies are very dense and chewy. With a sprinkle of walnuts we agreed that they would taste just like Little Debbie brownie snack cakes. I'm definitely going to play around with this idea. Sarah has also made blondies with garbanzo beans. Yummy!
No comments:
Post a Comment