02 April 2012

Spanish Rice

       I quickly found out after we married that Jay loves rice... including Spanish rice. I enjoy Mexican and Tex-Mex, but spanish rice has never excited me. But, I got his mother's recipe and committed to making it regularly. Unfortunately, my rice has never lived up to momma's.
       Last week I found myself with a request for quesadillas for dinner and about 2 cups leftover white rice and 1/2 cup leftover Gourmet Cupboard 'Tastes Like More' tomato soup in the fridge. So, I threw the rice in a skillet with the soup and added a little cumin, hot chili powder, minced garlic, and salt and stir-fried it until it was hot and sticky. I have to say it was the best Spanish rice I've ever made!

Mom's Spanish Rice

Ingredients:



1 cup uncooked rice 1/2 sm onion, minced
1/2 bell pepper, minced 1/4 cup oil
1 can tomato paste, sauce, or chopped 
1 tsp garlic granuals
Salt, pepper, and chili to taste

Directions:
         Brown rice, onion, and pepper in oil.
Add tomato and enough water to cover rice.  Add seasonings and 
simmer.  May need to add additional water to keep rice from 
sticking.  Cook until rice is tender, about 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment