28 February 2013

More Muffins!- Savoury Spinach




I received a book as a gift a few years ago that boasts you can make fifty types of muffins from one mix. Most of the recipes we have tried from it have been tasty (some heavy) and all of them sweet.  I had my eye on several of the savoury recipes from the start. So, the other night when I had potato soup on, I decided it was time to make one. I thought the spinach muffins were very good, but the men folk didn't agree so I had many leftover. The photo is from my lunch the next day. Turns out they were even better toasted with tomato or mozzarella.

Spinach Muffins

1 cup frozen chopped spinach (thawed)
1 onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1/3 cup oil + 2 tb
2 cups plain flour
1 Tb. baking powder
dash of salt and pepper
1/2 tsp rosemary
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk


Preheat the oven to 200C/400F degrees. Put spinach in a sieve and drain well, squeezing out as much moisture as possible.

Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a frying pan. Add the onion and cook until it begins to soften. Add garlic and cook a minute longer. Add spinach and cook another few minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and cool.

Stir together flour, baking powder, rosemary, salt, and pepper in a large bowl.

In a separate bowl, lightly beat eggs. Add oil and buttermilk and beat again. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients, pour in the liquids and spinach mixture. Stir until just combined.

Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown and firm to the touch. Makes 12 medium sized muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment