28 February 2014

Breakfast Muffins


What do you do when you have a box of healthy rice and bran flake cereal that is so yucky you couldn't force yourself to eat it when it was fresh and now it has gone stale? Well, I could have fed it to the birds, but instead I decided to try to adjust an old recipe and make muffins. I love the original recipe, but I haven't made it in a while because it makes about three dozen medium muffins. The good thing is you don't have to bake them all at once. The original recipe says that the batter will keep in the refrigerator for six weeks! If you do bake them all in one go they freeze very well.
___________________
Bran Muffins -Original Recipe

1 (400g) box of bran cereal with raisins
1 cup butter or oil
1 1/2 cups sugar or less according to taste
4 eggs slighty beaten
1 quart buttermilk
5 cups plain flour
5 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoon salt

Mix cereal, sugar, flour, soda, and salt in a LARGE bowl.
Add eggs, butter or oil, and buttermilk and stir until well combine.
Fill greased or lined muffin tins until 2/3 full.
Bake at 375F (200 C) for 15-20 minutes.
Remaining batter will keep in an sealed container for up to six weeks.
 Yield 3-4 dozen
____________

The batter is suppose to be very lumpy, but the flakes in the cereal were soooo hard (why I couldn't eat it in the first place!) that they wouldn't soften even after sitting for ages, so in the end I used my submersible blender to smooth the batter out a tiny bit. This cereal didn't have raisins so I added about 1/2 cup of raisins. I also added 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon. I lowered the sugar to one cup but after tasting the first batch I added the rest of the sugar. Although they were sweet enough for me I knew the boys wouldn't be impressed.  I also didn't have buttermilk so I used sour milk instead. The result was surprisingly tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment