My boys love snacking on fruit, but AJ and William rarely finish the whole thing. (Hudson is a different story!) I blogged about using leftover banana for bread here. I made it again this week. Yesterday the boys started two apples just before time for Kid's Klub (no hope of finishing them) and that got me thinking about another post about how I use leftover apples. It is not uncommon for me to pick up an apple out of the fruit bowl and find it already has a bite out of it. I used to get so frustrated at the waste. I also used to buy the luxury porridge from Aldi. All it had in it was oats, cranberries, dehydrated apples, and cinnamon. It costs about three time the price of plain oats, and after a while I started feeling lazy. So, I decided to start making my own and I discovered a use for half an apple. When I have a half eaten apple, I cut off all the bits that have touched saliva as soon as possible to stop decay, then I wash and place in the fridge until ready to use. I use raisins instead of cranberries as they are cheaper and naturally sweeter so you need less sugar.
Luxury Fruit Porridge
In a large microwave safe bowl combine,
1 cup porridge oats
2 Tb. raisins
1/2 apple, cored diced finely
dash cinnamon
1 cup warm water
1 cup milk
Stir until combined. Heat at full power in microwave for 3 minutes. Stir. Heat in microwave 75% power for 2 more minutes. Allow to rest for 2 minutes. Serve with milk and brown sugar to taste. Serves 2 to 4.
All measurements are approximate. Experiment until you find out what works for you. I make porridge very thick so it is harder for the boys to dribble and spill. Your microwave also may cook differently so watch carefully the porridge doesn't boil over. Porridge dries like glue so beware!
No comments:
Post a Comment