30 September 2016

Summer Meal Plan

I've been terrible at meal planning since Amy was born. When I don't have a plan I cook what I want to eat and lets just say that there were protests. So when school let out we decided to try assigning a day of the week to a cuisine. Meatless Monday, Taco Tuesday, and Fish Friday were obvious choices. We settled on European Wednesday, Asian Thursday, and Fun Saturday. It worked out really well! We didn't get it right every day but kept it going all summer. Taco Tuesday might be here to stay.

 I tried several new meatless dishes... falafel burgers and red lentils and rice were both a big hit. Surprisingly even Hudson liked ratatouille when I tried this version. 

Taco Tuesday was always a success. We made chicken and beef fajitas on the BBQ, as well as enchiladas, quesadillas, and beef and bean burritos. The side dishes were the star for me though. I made guacamole and fresh salsa nearly every week!

I'm getting more familiar with cooking Chinese and Indian dishes. I enjoy a good stir-fry and Jay and AJ love curry.  I'm almost at the point where I can make my  favourite take away dishes better than the take away and that is a scary place to be. I need an excuse for take away!

Fish Friday was the hardest. I just don't know much about seafood and don't like alot of what I try. We had some fresh salmon and made salmon patties and the boys loved both. I got adventurous once and tried a  black pudding and scallop recipe. It was pretty tasty but we didn't get the cooking of the scallops just right. Some of the smaller ones got quite tough. I said to Jay at dinner that an over cooked scallop is like chewing a rubber band. AJ piped up, "I wish I WAS eating rubber bands!"


No comments:

Post a Comment